Saturday, October 25, 2008

Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner


I had zero expectations coming in to this book. It was good. I had no idea what it was about, it was recommended to me by someone (I don't remember who). But everyone that I know who has read said it was a good book. Even when I was flying up to my dad's for a girls weekend, the pilot walked past me as I was boarding the plane and said, 'Good book.'
It is about Lyman Ward, the grandson of Susan Ward. He is writing his grandmother's autobiography. So the story is partly about her too. Susan grew up in the Hudson River Valley and marries Oliver Ward who is an engineer for coal mines in the west (circa 1870-1880). It talkes about her marital struggles and their life together. We also learn the story of Lyman and his own personal struggles.
It was not a happy book. But entertaining.

No comments: